This was so delicious that my husband insisted that it become a blog post! Please take note: lamb requires a whole lot of salt. Don’t go lightly.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small sliced carrot
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 4 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 oz rotelle pasta
- lots of salt
- fresh ground pepper
- shaved parmesan cheese
Heat your skillet and add the olive oil. Sauteée the onions, garlic and celery with salt until the onions begin to soften. Add the carrot and ground lamb with salt and pepper and begin to brown the meat. Part way through, add the sliced mushrooms. Brown the meat and don’t let it form large clumps. Add the tomato sauce, red wine, rosemary, basil and parsley, and more salt if needed. Cover and keep a low simmer for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
Serve over pasta. Garnish with some finely minced fresh parsley and shaved parmesan.